Thursday, September 9, 2010

That Dreadful Question.

I am starting to dread that awful question that most couples get when they've been married for quite some time. I most especially dread it from young couples that push and push it on you to the point of you wanting to stay away from them.  


THE QUESTION: When are you guys having kids?

This past weekend, I was dreading that person. I knew that she was going to ask me. Heck, every time I see her, she makes it a point in our conversation to ask me when we are going to have kids. My response this time, " We are practicing." Her response, " Well, you guys have been practicing for awhile." 

Mr. Dubyah wants me to talk with her and hopefully educate her how personal this question can be to some people.  But, I don't think I"m ready for that " talk" with her yet. I'm still grudging over our long ago phone conversation when her daughter was sick and she was worried about her breathing. To make the long story short, she basically said to me, " You'll understand when you are pregnant and a mom." The heck?!? Excuse me? I took it as a snide remark and a bit condescending. 

Soooo, you can say that I'm still bitter and I'm afraid that when I talk with her it may come out the wrong way or I may have an emotional breakdown of some embarrassing sort. 

To be fair, I don't think alot of people realize how personal " the when are you going to have kids?" question is. I don't think they think that alot of couples face infertility issues. Honestly, if I didn't have to go through the struggle of conceiving a child, I probably would be one of those people. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote

Quote

Quote