Monday, February 8, 2010

RIP Harley

So sad these past few days. My dog of 17 years was put down over the weekend. Although he doesn't live with me and Mr. Dubyah; he lives with my parents, I still consider him my dog. He was our family dog while growing up.

We got him in 1995 from a pound in Napa, California. At the time, it heavily rained and various parts of Napa was flooded. Lots of people lost their homes to the flood.  My mom and I suspect that he got lost in the midst of the floods that's how he landed at the pound because when we adopted him, he was well trained and already housebroken. 

Harley was an awesome dog! Most mistaken him for a girl dog and its understandably so based on his looks. He loved blankets. When he saw that you had a blanket out while sitting on the couch, he would immediately go to the very edge of the blanket and lie on it. Ofcourse, with his weight on it, the blanket would fall down and you couldn't really pull it up higher as he was lying on it. Grrr..

None of us thought that we would be priviledged to have him in our lives for 17 years. As he got older, we would always think to ourselves, is this our last Christmas we'll be spending with Harley?

I remember the first time I realized that he was getting old. He was getting up from his bed and all of a sudden, his legs gave out and he fell. He tried for several minutes to get up on his own, but couldn't. I cried thinking he wasn't going to get up anymore and I would have to bring him to the vet to let him go. But, when he got up and walked outside, I shouted so loud because I wasn't ready for him to be gone. At the same time, I knew that eventually, I would need to prepare myself for his passing. 

I'm going to miss you Harley. You were such a joy to be around and gave us plenty of laughs throughout the years. Hopefully, with all of the memories I have of you, I'll be able to smile instead of cry when thinking of you. Rest in Peace little guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote

Quote

Quote